
06:35
The eight habits that could make you live longer.
能让你更长寿的八个习惯。
This is News Review from BBC Learning English.
这里是 BBC 英语学习频道的时事摘录。
I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
And I'm Beth.
我是贝丝。
Make sure you watch to the end to learn vocabulary to talk about this story.
请一定要看到视频最后,学习有关本篇报道的词汇。
Don't forget to subscribe to our channel, like this video and try the quiz on our website.
别忘了订阅我们的频道,点赞本视频,试着做一下我们网站上的测验。
Now, the story.
现在,来看报道。
Eight healthy habits in middle age may increase your life by more than twenty years.
中年时的八个健康习惯,可以让你多活二十多年。
According to research, you can lengthen your life by doing regular exercise, having a healthy diet, positive social relationships and a regular sleep routine, and avoiding stress, smoking, opioid drugs, and too much alcohol.
根据研究,你可以通过定期锻炼、健康饮食、积极的社会关系和规律的睡眠习惯,以及避免压力、吸烟、阿片类药物和酗酒来延长寿命。
The study was carried out over eight years and more than 700,000 Americans took part in it.
这项研究历时八年多,超过 70 万美国人参与了这项研究。
You've been looking at the headlines, Beth. What's the vocabulary?
贝丝,你已经看过新闻标题了。要学的词汇都有什么?
We have: kicking habits, longevity and adopting.
我们有:戒掉习惯、长寿和采用。
This is News Review from BBC Learning English.
这里是 BBC 英语学习频道的时事摘录。
Let's have a look at our first headline.
我们来看我们的第一条新闻标题。
This is from The Independent.
这一条来自《独立报》。
Kicking these eight habits could help you live 20 years longer, scientists say.
科学家说,戒掉这八个习惯可以帮助你多活 20 年。
So, kicking these habits can help you live longer.
所以,改掉这些习惯可以帮助你活得更久。
A habit is something that you do regularly.
习惯是你经常做的事情。
Sometimes a good thing, like exercise.
有时候是好事,比如锻炼。
Sometimes a bad thing, like smoking.
有时候是坏事,比如抽烟。
But 'kick'? You kick a football.
但是“踢”?你可以踢足球。
You can kick something away, but kick a habit?
你可以踢一些东西,但是 kick a habit?
Well, think of the literal action of kick.
想想 kick 的字面意思。
If you kick a football, then you move it out of your way, possibly quite quickly and violently.
如果你踢一个足球,那么你就把它踢走了,可能是非常迅速又猛烈的。
So, if you kick a bad habit, like smoking or drinking too much alcohol, then your metaphorically forcing it away from you.
因此,如果你戒掉了一个坏习惯,比如吸烟或酗酒,那么隐喻意义上你就是在强迫它远离你。
You're stopping the habit.
你正在戒掉这个习惯。
Yeah. And we use 'kick' and 'habit' together very regularly, especially to talk about something that you really want to stop doing.
是的。我们经常把 kick 和 habit 放在一起使用,尤其是在谈论你真心想停止做的事情时。
Beth, have you kicked a habit or is there one you really want to kick?
贝丝,你有没有戒掉过某个习惯,或者你有没有十分想戒掉的一个习惯?
Well, I'm trying to stop eating as much chocolate, but I haven't quite kicked the habit yet. What about you?
我正在努力不再吃那么多巧克力,但我还没有完全戒掉这个习惯。那你呢?
I really want to kick the habit of checking my phone all the time.
我真的很想戒掉一直看手机的习惯。
I do it so often. And it's a really bad thing. I want to kick that habit.
我经常看手机。这真的是件坏事。我想戒掉那个习惯。
Let's look at that again.
让我们再看一遍。
... I want to kick the habit of checking my phone all the time...
我想戒掉一直看手机的习惯。
Let's have our next headline.
让我们看下一个标题。
This is from WorldHealth.net.
这一条来自“世界卫生组织”网。
These habits may help to extend your longevity by decades.
这些习惯可能有助于延长你的寿命几十年。
So, this headline says that these habits will extend your longevity.
所以,这个标题说这些习惯会延长你的寿命。
'Longevity' is the word that we're looking at.
“长寿”是我们要学习的单词。
I can see it's got 'long' in it. Is there a connection?
我能看到里面有“长”字。这其中有联系吗?
There is, yeah. So 'longevity' is a noun and it means living for a long time.
是的,有。所以“长寿”是名词,意思是活很长时间。
So, this headline is saying that having these habits will make you live longer.
因此,这个标题是说拥有这些习惯会让你活得更久。
But there is another meaning to longevity, isn't there?
不过长寿还有另一层含义,不是吗?
Yes, if something is popular or useful for a long time we can say that it has longevity.
是的,如果某样东西长期很受欢迎或有用,我们就可以说它具有长久的生命力。
Now, for example, flexible working could be important for longevity in a job, meaning that people will want to stay in their job longer if it's flexible.
例如,弹性工作制对于工作的长久性很重要,也就是说,如果工作方式灵活,人们就会愿意在工作岗位上干更长时间。
And take note — this word is quite formal, so it is usually seen more in writing than speaking.
请注意,这个词非常正式,所以通常更多出现在书面而不是口头上。
I wouldn't say 'Did you know that doing exercise helps your longevity?' I would say 'it helps you live longer'.
我不会说‘你知道锻炼有助于长寿吗?’我会说“它有助于你活得更久”。
Yes. Now take note about the pronunciation of this word — it's a little bit strange.
是的。现在注意这个单词的发音——它略微有点奇怪。
It's longevity, so we have the/ŋ/at the end of 'long' as normal, but then there's this/dʒ/sound as well — longevity.
长寿,所以我们在“long”的末尾照常会有 /ŋ/ 音,但是还有这个 /dʒ/ 音——长寿。
Let's look at that again.
让我们再看一遍。
... The study found that regular exercise improves longevity...
研究发现,经常锻炼可以延长寿命。
Let's have our next headline.
让我们看下一个标题。
This is from PerthNow.
这一条来自《今日柏斯报》。
Adopting eight simple healthy habits could help increase your lifespan by decades, a survey finds.
一项调查发现,养成八个简单的健康习惯可以帮助你延长几十年的寿命。
So, this headline is saying you can achieve 'longevity', that's the word that we just looked at, by adopting these habits.
所以,这个标题是说,通过养成这些习惯,你可以实现“长寿”,“长寿”这是我们刚刚学到的词。
'Adopting' is the word we're looking at now.
我们现在要看的是“adopting”这个词。
Now, Beth, there was a kitten living in our street and it didn't have a home, so we brought it into our home to live.
贝丝,我们这条街上住着一只小猫,它没有家,于是我们把它带回家住了。
We adopted it.
我们收养了它。
Well, that's very cute.
好温馨哦。
'Adopt' can be when you take responsibility for something, like your kitten.
“收养”可以指你对某样事物负责,比如你的小猫。
If it's a child, then that is a legal process — you adopt a child.
如果是个孩子,那就走法律程序——你收养一个孩子。
Now, Neil, when you adopted your kitten it became yours.
尼尔,当你收养你的小猫时,它就变成了你的猫。
And that idea is the same as in the headline with 'adopt'. It means taken and now belongs to you.
这个概念和标题中的“adopt”是一样的含义。意思是被拿走,现在属于你了。
Yes. So the headline is saying that you can take these healthy habits and apply them to yourself.
是的。所以标题是说你可以把这些健康的习惯应用到自己身上。
Now, it's not just these habits that you can adopt, or kittens, or children.
现在,不只是这些习惯你可以采用,或者收养小猫,或者收养孩子。
You can also adopt a new approach, for example.
例如,你还可以采用一种新方法。
Or a person might adopt a new attitude.
或者一个人可能会采取一种新的态度。
That's right. I watched a documentary about being vegetarian.
没错。我看了一部关于成为素食主义者的纪录片。
Could I say that I have adopted a new diet?
我可以说我采用了一种新的饮食方式吗?
You could — it does sound a little bit formal. I understand what you mean, but probably you'd just say I've changed my diet, or I've changed the way I eat.
你可以这么说——听起来确实有点正式。我明白你的意思,不过你可能会说我改变了饮食习惯,或者我改变了饮食方式。
Let's look at that again.
让我们再看一遍。
... The organisation has adopted a new approach to hiring...
该组织采用了新的招聘方法。
We've had: kicking habits — stopping bad habits.
我们学了:戒掉习惯——停止坏习惯。
Longevity — living or lasting a long time.
长寿——活很长时间或持续很长时间。
And adopting — taking as your own.
还有“采用”——把它当作你自己的。
Now, if you're interested in longevity, we recently asked could humans live to 140 years old?
如果你对长寿感兴趣,我们最近问了人类能活到 140 岁吗?
Click here to watch that video.
点击这里观看视频。
And don't forget to click here to subscribe to our channel so you never miss another video.
不要忘记点击这里订阅我们的频道,这样你就不会错过任何视频了。
Thanks for joining us.
感谢大家的观看。
Bye!
再见!
举报/反馈
相关知识
长寿用英语怎么说
5 Simple Ways To Boost Your Natural Immunity
7 Ways Senior Communities Promote Health & Wellness
Beginner’s Guide to Developing an Exercise Routine
养成8个好习惯,让你的猫咪健康长寿
What is Twitch? Everything you need to know about the top live
长寿的英文
能让狗狗长寿的“8个好习惯”,你做到了几个?
双语阅读:2020年改善心理健康的5种科学方法
保持“8个好习惯”让布偶猫更长命,你知道哪几个呢
网址: 八个好习惯 让你更长寿 8 Ways to Live Longer https://m.trfsz.com/newsview1905023.html